Join over 5,000 people who are subscribed to receive a once daily email with all of our posts. Never miss out! Click here to subscribe.
Want more info? Come join our Travel Hacking & Reselling Facebook communities to get the answers!
One of the biggest currently available card offers is expiring in a few days. This bonus/card isn’t for everyone, but I think some people will benefit from applying. Let’s look at the deal and discuss who I think should and shouldn’t apply.
To start, here is the current bonus offer on the American Express Business Platinum card. It expires on January 25, 2017 and you can only get the bonus if you have never had this card before.
Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 and an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases on the Business Platinum Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires January 25, 2017. $450 annual fee.
The Value of this Offer
For me, here is what to look at when it comes to the value of this offer:
- $100,000 points worth $1,500 to $2,000
- $400 in travel incidental credits in the first cardmember year
- Global Entry fee credit if you don’t have it yet
- Lounge access including Centurion, Delta SkyClub (when flying Delta) and Priority Pass
- 50% rebate back when paying with points on your Preferred airline
- 1.5X earnings on large purchases
- Hilton HHonors Gold
- SPG & Marriott Gold
The annual fee you pay is $450, but given the value of the points and the travel credits, I think this offer is worth $1,500+ after factoring in your fee. Still, here are some things to consider:
- You may already have a better Priority Pass membership from the Sapphire Reserve or Citi Prestige.
- You may already have Global Entry or a Global Entry credit with another card.
- Amex has been tough on some people who meet minimum spend with certain spending techniques. $15,000 is a lot of spend.
- The best ever offer on this card was 150K, but it was highly targeted. This is the highest public bonus we have seen.
Should You Apply?
While the decision to apply is a personal one, here are my thoughts on who should and shouldn’t apply.
- You don’t currently have an Amex Platinum and are interested in getting the benefits.
- Don’t already have another premium travel card with lounge access and that perk is important to you.
- Stay often at Hilton, SPG and Marriott hotels and want a quick path to their elite statuses. (Marriott Gold & Hilton Gold both include free breakfast.)
- Can easily meet the spend requirements without using certain spending techniques.
- You have a business that will be eligible for a small business card.
Don’t Apply if:
- You already have another Platinum card or have many of the benefits of the Platinum card with another product.
- You don’t have a use for lounge access or elite status and aren’t comfortable paying a $450 annual fee up front.
- You cannot comfortably hit the $15,000 minimum spend requirement.
- You do not have a business.
- Applying for a card now doesn’t fit within your overall card strategy.
I truly believe that this 100K Amex Business Platinum offer will be a good deal for many people, but it also won’t be for everyone. It is hard to argue with the first year value of getting this bonus, but if you aren’t comfortable with the up front fee, don’t need the benefits and/or can’t easily hit the hefty spend requirement, then go ahead and pass. Another great offer will come along at some point!
This post may contain referral, affiliate or sponsor links that provide Miles to Memories compensation. Thank you for your support.