Join over 5,000 people who are subscribed to receive a once daily email with all of our posts. Never miss out! Click here to subscribe.
Want more info? Come join our Travel Hacking & Reselling Facebook communities to get the answers!
How to Close Citi Credit Cards Online
Last year during the AAdvantage Executive 100,000 mile deal, I picked up a total of four of those cards. Now that the hefty $450 annual fee is due, I am needing to cancel a few of them. While I could also convert them to another product, at this time I feel like I have too many Citi cards and thus would like to scale back the total number.
Keep in mind that Citi does often have generous retention offers on their cards. In fact, I called retention a couple of months ago for one of my previous AAdvantage Executive cards. For those who don’t care about offers and just want to close their card, thankfully there is a simple and easy way to do it online in about a minute. Here is how:
The Simple Process
- Login to your Citi credit card account and click “Messages” towards the top.
- Select the appropriate credit card account from the drop down. Once the correct account is selected, click “Send a New Message”
- In the Topic dropdown select “Account – Other” and in the Subject field write: “Close account ending in ####.“
- In the Message area write, “Can you please close my account ending in ####? Thank you.“
- You can elaborate more if you want, but it is not required. Once your message is written click “Send Message”.
Normally within 24 hours you should receive a written response from Citi. On my recent Executive card closure here was their response:
We have closed your account at your request. If you would like to consider reopening your account, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-950-5114. If you are outside the United States, please call us collect at 1-605-335-2222. Our telecommunication number for our hearing impaired customers is CS TDD 1-800-325-2865.
The $450.00 Annual Membership Fee will be credited. Our adjustment will appear on your account within the next five business days.
It normally takes between 24-48 hours for the annual fee credit to show. With my recent closure the credit showed up within 24 hours.
While it may be beneficial to call in to Citi to see what retention offers they have, you don’t have to. if you are simply looking to close a credit card account, it can be done in about a minute online without any fuss. Simple and easy.
This post may contain referral, affiliate or sponsor links that provide Miles to Memories compensation. Thank you for your support.