Join over 5,000 people who are subscribed to receive a once daily email with all of our posts. Never miss out! Click here to subscribe.
Learn how to maximize your points & miles! Join Our Facebook Group!
Discover It 2nd Quarter Bonus Category
About a month ago I did a roundup of the 2016 5%/5X bonus categories for the Chase Freedom, Citi Dividend and Discover It cards. While Chase and Citi released their calendars for the entire year, Discover seems to only be releasing their calendar in chunks. Thankfully they have now released the 5% categories for Q2 2016.
Restaurants & Movies
Discover It cards will earn 5% cashback on up to $1,500 in spend in the categories of restaurants and movies from April 1, 2016 through June 30, 2016.
- Restaurant purchases are those made at merchants classified as full-service restaurants, cafes, cafeterias and fast food locations.
- Movie purchases are those made at merchants classified as movie theaters, video rental stores, and online movie ticket services.
- Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors and discount stores are not eligible.
- Purchases made using tap-and-pay, mobile or wireless card readers, virtual wallets or similar technology may not be eligible.
- Rewards are added to your Cashback Bonus account within two billing periods.
What is nice, is that the restaurants and movies categories don’t overlap with any of the 2Q categories for the Dividend or Freedom cards. Given that the Discover It will earn 5% at restaurants (10% if you have Double Cashback), it will probably be the card to use for eating out during the period from April-June.
I also want to point out that the 2nd quarter is fantastic when you analyze the bonus categories across all three cards. The Freedom will earn 5% at grocery stores, the Dividend will earn 5% at drug stores and the Discover It will earn 5% at restaurants. Overall, many of people’s everyday expenses should be covered by bonus categories on these cards in the 2nd quarter.
I really wish Discover would release their entire calendar for 2016, but I assume they are still looking at the numbers to see how generous they should be with the categories. Ever since the launch of their double cashback promotion, the company has tightened. Still, restaurants and movies are a fine category and one I am happy to have in the 2nd quarter.
HT: Doctor of Credit
This post may contain referral, affiliate or sponsor links that provide Miles to Memories compensation. Thank you for your support.