Join over 5,000 people who are subscribed to receive a once daily email with all of our posts. Never miss out! Click here to subscribe.
Want more info? Come join our Travel Hacking & Reselling Facebook communities to get the answers!
Uber Has Started Service in Las Vegas
Almost a year ago Uber decided to launch their service in Las Vegas despite it sort of being against the law. At first their drivers were harassed and ticketed and then eventually the court shut down their operations entirely. I did manage to get a single Uber ride during their brief stint here in Vegas and found that a $20 taxi ride cost me $13 with Uber.
As I covered a couple of months ago, the courts finally ruled that Uber, Lyft and other ridesharing companies are allowed to operate in the Silver State. The ruling ordered the government to make regulations regarding their operation and that was completed recently. Apparently Uber was just waiting to pull the trigger, because I just received notification that they have launched today.
Uber Vegas Is Live
Here are the details of Uber’s Vegas service taken from their website:
From grabbing a drink in DTLV with friends to heading out for a round of golf in Summerlin to running an errand in Henderson — your life just got a whole lot easier. You’re a few taps away from getting to your destination seamlessly and safely with a ride from Uber.
All you need to do is download the Uber app and whenever you are ready to head out, just pinpoint your location and a driver will be ready to pick you up within minutes. You can track the exact location of the driver and even share details about your trip with anyone who wants to know you are safely on your way home or is waiting for you at your destination.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Whatever you are up to this weekend, here is some basic info on what to expect with uberX, our low-cost ridesharing option:
- Convenience: Once you’ve pinpointed your location on the Uber app, a driver will be ready to pick you up within minutes–wherever you are.
- Safety: You’ll receive important details about your ride, like contact info for the driver and the license plate of the car. You can track the exact location of the driver and even share details about your trip with anyone who is waiting for you at your destination or just wants to know you are getting home safe.
- Hassle Free: There’s no need to worry about cash — your ride will be charged directly to your Uber account when your trip is over and you’ll get an emailed receipt.
SAMPLE FARE ESTIMATES
- UNLV to Downtown Las Vegas: $13-17
- UNLV to Summerlin: $34-45
- Downtown Las Vegas to Summerlin: $36-48
- Downtown Las Vegas to Henderson: $39-52
- Henderson to Summerlin: $63-84
We’re excited to be here, Las Vegas. For all the latest updates, go ahead and follow us @Uber_Vegas & @Uber_NV and tweet us with #NVLovesUber — we’re here to keep you moving!
Update: Lyft has launched in Vegas as well! You can see their rates here.
This is exciting news. As you can see from the sample fares, it isn’t as cheap as in many other cities, but Uber will still be a welcome alternative to taxi cabs. While this announcement doesn’t say if they are allowed to do airport pickups yet or not, that will be coming along soon either way. Happy ridesharing!
Note: New Uber members can get $20 towards their first ride for signing up through a referral link. You can find my link on the support page. Every member has their own unique referral link.
This post may contain referral, affiliate or sponsor links that provide Miles to Memories compensation. Thank you for your support.