Join over 5,000 people who are subscribed to receive a once daily email with all of our posts. Never miss out! Click here to subscribe.
Want more info? Come join our Travel Hacking & Reselling Facebook communities to get the answers!
United Economy Plus Subscription Gift
Ah legroom. It is the one thing that is almost always in short supply when flying. Sure, if you always fly up front then legroom tends not to be an issue (except with US Airways legacy first class), but for most fliers legroom is important. Of course the taller you are (I am 6’2”) the more important it becomes. This is why most carriers have extra legroom seats for extra money.
United calls their extra legroom seating Economy Plus. They also offer yearly subscriptions which allow for unlimited Economy Plus upgrades. These subscriptions start at $499 for travel within the U.S. and go up from there depending on if you want to add a region and if you want to be able to upgrade companions flying with you.
To be honest, I had forgotten about United’s subscription to Economy Plus until I received the following email yesterday:
We’d love for you to experience all the great things we are changing here at United®, on the ground and in the air. That’s why we’re giving you a complimentary Economy Plus® subscription, valid until January 31, 2017.
Now you can enjoy a new level of comfort on our flights, including seats with extra legroom and room for your bag. Just reserve your Economy Plus seat when you book your trip.
Here are the terms of the offer:
- Only the original recipient of this offer has received the complimentary Economy Plus® subscription.
- The Economy Plus subscription can be used only on flights operated by United® and United Express® in the 48 contiguous U.S. states (excluding Alaska and Hawaii).
- The Economy Plus subscription is complimentary, and will not result in the subscriber earning Premier® qualifying dollars. The subscription is neither changeable nor transferable.
- The Economy Plus subscription is valid through January 31, 2017, and can be used to request an Economy Plus seat at no cost on flights between May 10, 2016, and January 31, 2017. Any flights taken after January 31, 2017, will not qualify under the Economy Plus subscription.
- Economy Plus seats on qualifying flights can be selected on united.com at booking, after booking before check-in, during check-in or at a check-in kiosk in the airport. Economy Plus seat assignments are not guaranteed.
- The subscriber’s MileagePlus® number must be included in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
- Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
I am truly baffled as to why I would be targeted. I flew on a total of 1 United revenue flight last year (SFO-LAS) and I have never been a huge United flyer. I did have an issue on an award flight last year with a falling roof panel and United’s response, so perhaps that put me into the system for something like this. Before you guess that I got this because I am a blogger, I doubt it. The email seems very polished and “for the masses”. Marketing doesn’t usually go all out in that manner for the press. I do suppose it is possible, but I doubt it.
My Thoughts on the Gift & Subscription
As a top-tier American Airlines elite, I often choose to fly that airline since I know I can choose extra legroom seats ahead of time and I also get upgraded quite often as well. While I’m not sure why United targeted me for this subscription, it may actually work. Since I know I can confirm better seats ahead of time, I might be tempted to fly with them if it makes more sense financially. Unfortunately since I get 1.6 cents per ThankYou point booking American with my Prestige that rarely happens.
I also wonder who the main audience is for this subscription. It seems to me that the people who would be flying enough to justify the cost, would probably already be elites and thus would get this for free. I suppose if you were just starting out then maybe you would want this, but you would become an elite soon enough and get it for free. It definitely is a niche product.
Check your emails for a subject of, “Congratulations on your Economy Plus subscription, our special way to thank you.” I almost missed it and perhaps you did too. I wonder if this is a widely targeted promotion or was just sent to an extremely limited number of accounts. Were you given an Economy Plus subscription and/or something else from United? Let me know in the comments!
This post may contain referral, affiliate or sponsor links that provide Miles to Memories compensation. Thank you for your support.