Disclosure: Miles to Memories has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Miles to Memories and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Links in this post may provide us with a commission.
1-800-Flowers Mother’s Day Extreme Savings
1-800-Flowers is back with another round of holiday promotions (this time Mother’s Day). When combining them with other moves from Shawn’s Ninja Tricks toolkit, you can end up with a great relatively low-effort deal (or an even better deal, via some higher-effort moves discussed below).
As you may (or may not) know, 1-800-Flowers is affiliated with a number of other websites where you can find a variety of different kinds of gifts. These include items ranging from flower bouquets to fruit baskets, to fine chocolates, to popcorn tins, to even steak and lobster! While many items they sell are arguably priced at significant premiums, with these tricks, you can end up getting some of them for effectively “free” (depending on your perspective of course!). Let’s take a look.
Start the Savings!
Shopping portals are an important part of maximizing your return at 1-800-Flowers. Currently the two best portal options are:
After determining which portal you want to use, here are the steps to follow:
1) Pre-Deal Moves
- Load the recent 1-800-Flowers Amex Offer (for $15 off $50+) onto all of your American Express cards. (For more information on loading offers, see: this post.)
- Go to 1-800-Flowers through your chosen portal and sign up for their “Celebrations Passport” free shipping (for a year) service for $19.99. (The normal price is $29.99 but it is on sale!) Use one of your Amex cards linked to the offer to build towards your $50 spend on that card. You will also receive either 22% cashback or 30X miles on this purchase! Yes, the $19.99 is an upfront investment. But if you take advantage of these deals (that come along multiple times per year) often at all, it will more than pay for itself.
- Sign up for the free “Celebrations Rewards” program.
2) Buy Physical Gift Cards – Click through from your chosen portal to 1-800-Flowers and purchase gift cards. You might want to use the card on which you bought the Celebration Passport to buy a $30.01 gift card to fill out the $50 required for the Amex Offer. On all other Amex cards it is probably best to just purchase a $50 1-800-Flowers gift card to trigger the offer. Make sure to click through the portal for each gift card purchase in order to receive full credit. Since you have to purchase physical gift cards, if you haven’t done this yet, then it may be too late for Mother’s Day but there are always good promos.
Update: For some strange reason 1-800-Flowers seems to be sold out of gift cards.
3) Buy Stuff – Find the items you’d like to buy for yourself (or gift to a friend or family member, or donate to a charity) on 1-800-Flowers and it’s affiliated websites. You will see those affiliated websites listed along the top of the 1-800-Flowers page. Importantly, usually any item you put in your shopping cart from one of the websites will show up in the cart with items from the other websites. You can use up to 2 gift cards per order.
4) Checkout with Promos – Make sure you are logged into your 1-800-Flowers account, so that you get credit for the Celebrations Passport free shipping and Celebration Rewards benefits. Checkout and pay with one or two of the gift cards you purchased with your Amex card to trigger the offer.
When checking out, use either coupon code SW36 (to earn 1,750 Southwest Rapid Rewards Points) or TB1750 (to earn 1,750 JetBlue TrueBlue miles). Each coupon code has a limit of 5 uses per account and requires a minimum purchase of $34.99.
Note: You could also use the United portal again to earn another 30X, however promo codes and portals cannot be combined so you have to choose one or the other.
To make things easier, let’s look at the math on a single $50 purchase. We will assume you go through the United portal for 30X miles.
- Merchandise Cost: $50
- Amex Offer Credit: $-15
- New Cost: $35
So you are paying $35 out of pocket for the merchandise. Of course, you are also earning a lot of miles. Let’s look at the scenario if you choose the Southwest promo code.
- United Portal 30X on $50 gift card purchase: 1,500 miles – (~22.50 Value at 1.5 cents per point.)
- Southwest Points Earned on merchandise purchase: 1,750 (~$24.50 value at 1.4 cents per point.)
So now let’s take into account the value of the miles. Feel free to use your own valuations, especially for United miles.
- Out of Pocket Cost: $35
- United Miles Value: $-22.50
- Southwest Points Value: $-24.50
- Final Cost: $-12
As you can see, you have the potential to get back more value than the price of the items you’re purchasing. And you get the merchandise to do with as you please! It is probably only worth it if you’re really going to enjoy receiving or giving the items, but a pretty good deal either way!
An Alternative to Earn AAdvantage Miles
If you aren’t into United miles, there is another play you could make to earn American AAdvantage miles. American Airlines currently has a promotion where you can earn 10,000 for interacting with their partners including 1-800-Flowers. You do have to use their link so it wouldn’t stack with the United 30X portal (or possible the Southwest promo code either), but it is a good alternative. For more info, see: this post.
Final thoughts and Considerations
A few other “pro tips” to consider, both potentially positive and negative. On the positive side, you will also be generating points under the 1-800-Flowers Celebrations Rewards program. As with many programs, you’ll typically earn 10% towards future purchases (for every $200 you spend).
On the negative side, as warned, there is always the potential that shopping portals won’t track. Thus, you should keep records and put in a claim with the shopping portal if it doesn’t track within a reasonable period of time. Of course, this can be time consuming and there is no guarantee you will get paid, although I have had success utilizing these methods.
I have also found that 1-800-Flowers, and some of their affiliated websites, can be questionable in the customer service department. I’ve had lots of Fannie May (chocolates) orders messed up, with late or incorrect deliveries (even as presents to friends/families). To their credit, they usually will do a replacement delivery and/or offer a full refund. But, again, this takes some monitoring and time.
Finally, if you want to get even more advanced, Frequent Miler has more tips & tricks. What have your experiences been with 1-800-Flowers and their affiliated websites? What are your favorite items to purchase? Let us know in the comments.
Miles to Memories has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Miles to Memories and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.