Join over 6,000 people who are subscribed to receive a once daily email with all of our posts. Never miss out! Click here to subscribe.
Learn how to maximize your points & miles! Join Our Facebook Group!
Note: Links in this post to Amazon are affiliate links. There is no portal that I am aware of that pays out cashback for gift card purchases at Amazon or I would have linked to it.
Amazon.com is promoting their partnership with American Express Membership Rewards with a very good promotion. Through 11/13/15 you can receive a $15 statement credit with a $50 or more purchase at Amazon.com. Let me walk you through the deal and how to maximize it.
Save $15 off a $50 or more purchase by using a Membership Rewards eligible card to Shop with Points at Amazon. Use code SWP9AXP15 at checkout.
- This is a limited time offer. The promotion will end at 11:59 PT on 11/13/2015, or while supplies last. The promotion code will expire concurrently.
- You must have an Amazon.com account to redeem the promotion code. If you are creating a new Amazon.com account, please be aware that it may take up to 72 hours before your promotion code will be accepted and applied. Accordingly, you must create a new account on or before 11/10/2015 in order to redeem the promotion code.
- Offer applies only to the purchase of at least $50 of eligible products, where Membership Rewards points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion code is entered at checkout. Taxes, gift-wrap, and shipping and handling charges do not apply when determining minimum purchase amount.
- The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $15 per eligible Membership Rewards enrolled Card.
- Enter the promotion code at checkout through the Amazon.com shopping cart. After redeeming the code, a credit of $15 will be automatically applied to your eligible purchase as long as Membership Rewards points are selected as your method of payment, at least one Membership Rewards point is used for the purchase and your shopping cart contains at least $50 of eligible products.
- Offer is not available to American Express Membership Rewards eligible cards whose points have been previously used for purchases at Amazon.com in the past twenty four months.
You can find the full detailed terms here.
What You Need to Know
It appears based on the terms that you can use this promotion once per eligible card, however there is a catch. I have confirmed that the code will only work once per Amazon account, so it may be required to open up new accounts and/or use accounts of family members, etc. I have successfully used four cards across four Amazon.com accounts.
Also, since AU cards are not eligible to redeem points, they are not eligible for this offer. Amazon’s system knows when it is an AU card and will let you know that the card is not eligible. Only primary Membership Rewards cards are eligible.
What to Buy
You can obviously purchase just about anything as long as it is sold by Amazon.com, however I just went ahead and purchased gift cards. Third party merchant gift cards are eligible with this promotion, so you can essentially get a 30% discount at your favorite merchant. Since I am always in need of Hyatt gift cards I purchased those, however there are a ton of options including: restaurants, clothing stores and more.
How to Get the Discount
First, add the gift card or other eligible merchandise to your shopping cart and when ready click “Proceed to Checkout”.
When you get to the “Payment Method” portion of checkout, add your Membership Rewards eligible card or simply click “Get Started” from the promotional page for this offer. Once your card is linked, you should see your points balance. On the payment screen select your American Express card and “Choose a different amount.” Put in $.01 and you will only need to redeem 1.43 points. (Probably rounded to 2.)
After confirming the payment method you will be at the final checkout screen where you can enter the promotional code SWP9AXP15. Once entered it should look very similar to this:
As you can see, I am redeeming $.01 worth of points and paying the $34.99 balance with my American Express card. In other words, I just saved 30% off of a $50 Hyatt gift card! Good stuff.
This isn’t the biggest deal in the world, but I know many of you have multiple Membership Rewards cards, so you should be able to save a few bucks. While making new accounts may take too much time for some, at the very least it is probably worth it to use once on your main account, since the process is fairly painless and takes less than 2 minutes once you have the item added to your card. Happy saving!
This post may contain referral, affiliate or sponsor links that provide Miles to Memories compensation. Thank you for your support.