American AAdvantage JetBlue Mosaic Status Match
If you’ve read this blog for any length of time then you know I am an elite status junky. While I earn my Hyatt top tier Globalist status the hard way, I simply don’t travel enough on paid tickets to do the same with airline programs. Of course, there are always shortcuts and promos that can help out.
When it comes to airline status, I have had quite a journey over the past few years.
- In 2013 I flew to Paraguay and back on a $417 roundtrip ticket to earn AAdvantage Platinum status through February 2015.
- In late 2014 I matched that AAdvantage Platinum status to Alaska MVP Gold status through early 2016.
- As the Alaska status was coming close to expiring, I matched it to Alitalia Gold just for the heck of it.
- At the same time Copa was launching their new program and my Alaska MVP Gold status got me Silver in their program.
Just as the lights were going out on my useful elite statuses, a shining ray of hope descended down on the world. For a brief few minutes, American Airlines opened up to the public a status match challenge and I was able to register.
- I then flew two roundtrips to Panama in First Class to earn AAdvantage Executive Platinum status February 2017. With a side trip to Cuba! 🙂
- While I used my Executive Platinum status a lot, I dropped to Platinum for 2017 but not before somehow getting Alaska to match me a second time to their top tier MVP Gold 75K status!
Unfortunately 2017 came to an end and I only qualified for Alaska MVP status (lowest tier) and I lost AAdvantage elite status completely. Then, the universe provided in the way that it often does. A few days ago I got this offer from AAdvantage via email.
While the offer only gives me Platinum status through September unless I fly a certain amount, it also gave me 17 500 mile upgrade stickers making it worth it either way. Thankfully though it got even better. Just two days after they gifted me the status, Founderscard and JetBlue came out with an amazing Mosaic status match offer.
Basically the offer gives Founderscard members who are also elite members at other airlines Mosaic status through the end of the year. While top and mid tier Alaska elites were included, my lowly MVP status wasn’t. But that was ok, because just two days before American had given me a gift. My newly minted Platinum status from AAdvantage got me JetBlue Mosaic status.
Where To Next?
At this point I have AAdvantage Platinum status through September with the option of extending it through 2019 if I can find a decent flight. The EQD requirement makes that tough, but I’ll take a look.
I also have top tier JetBlue Mosaic status which is great because it allows me to use the many points I earned by shopping on Amazon (which have been returned after the hack) to make speculative bookings given that Mosaic comes with no cancellation fees.
Finally I still have my low-tier Alaska Airlines status which has actually come in handy lately. Not only did I get upgraded to First Class on a recent LAX-LAS
Virgin America Alaska flight, my daughter and I were both upgraded both coming and going to Maui a couple of weeks ago as well.
It has been a wild and fun ride when it comes to airline elite status over the past 5 years. Sometimes I have barely used these statuses while at other times I have extracted great value from them. Either way, I am grateful that in the course of two days I picked up a couple of new elite feathers to put in my cap.
What has been your favorite elite status match/offer? Share with us in the comments!