Disclosure: Miles to Memories has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Miles to Memories and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Links in this post may provide us with a commission.
American Airlines Reduced Mileage Awards Calendar (June-July)
One of the more underutilized, or less known, perks of the American Airlines credit cards is the American Airlines reduced mileage awards calendar. American Airlines lists a whole bunch of airports in 3 month segments that are bookable for 1,000-7,500 miles less. The discount depends on which co-branded card you have and the distance flown. Let’s take a look at the program and some sweet spots on the current chart.
American Airlines Reduced Mileage Awards Program
The American Airlines reduced mileage awards program is a discount award system for American Airlines credit card holders. Depending on which cards you have you get 1,000-7,500 miles off round trip tickets. You can do one way flights for half the discount as well.
To be able to book the flights you need to find saver award availability to the destination airport or departure airport.
Which Cards Earn Provide A Discount?
Here is a list of the cards that receive a discount of 7,500 miles for flights over 500 miles or 2,000 miles for flights of less than 500 miles:
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard®
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Select MasterCard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ MasterCard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Silver World Elite MasterCard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Red MasterCard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Business MasterCard®
Here is a list of the cards that get a discount of 5,000 miles for flights of over 500 miles or 1,000 miles for flights of less than 500 miles:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold MasterCard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Blue MasterCard®
American Airlines Reduced Mileage Awards Booking Process
Once you find the airport on the list you are interested in, and find a saver award, you have to call 800-882-8880 to book the discount flight. They will waive the phone fee since these are not bookable online but you will still have to pay the $75 close in booking fee if the flight is 21 days away or less.
Remember to have your discount code ready:
June-July Award Sweet Spots
After taking a quick peak at the American Airlines reduced mileage awards calendar I found a couple of destinations of interest:
- Corpus Christi, Texas – Could get some beach time in during June & July
- Hilton Head, South Carolina – Hit up some links in June & July
- Houston, Texas – It is available in both June & July
- Madison, Wisconsin – It is available in July and the downtown & lakefront is beautiful.
- Savannah, Georgia – July is the month for some southern hospitality.
I think many of us, myself included, forget about this amazing offer for American Airlines cardholders. Having to find saver awards makes it a tall task at times, and needing to call in to book the trip is a pain but I think the juice is worth the squeeze. Make sure you check online for saver award space before calling in and remember to have that discount code ready!
Miles to Memories has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Miles to Memories and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.