Disclosure: Miles to Memories has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Miles to Memories and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Links in this post may provide us with a commission.
New Amex Gold Card
American Express announced a new version of its popular Premier Rewards Gold Card, which will now be called the “American Express Gold Card” and come in a chic, limited edition rose gold metal design. The new Gold Card is designed to give Card Members more rewards in some of the most popular categories such as food and travel. The annual fee is going up and the Amex Gold Card is losing one benefit.
The Welcome Offer
Receive 20% back as a statement credit at U.S. Restaurants with the Gold Card within the first 3 months of your Card Membership, up to $100 back. Offer available to new Card Members who apply by 1/9/2019.
25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new card within the first 3 months.
The new Amex Gold Card will have the following new benefits:
- 4X Membership Rewards points at U.S. Restaurants
- 4X Membership Rewards points at U.S. Supermarkets (on up to $25,000 in purchases annually)
- A new $120 dining credit which gives enrolled Card Members up to $10 per month in statement credits when they use their Card at eligible dining partners including participating Shake Shack locations, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House and Grubhub/Seamless
It’s retaining the following benefits:
- 3X Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines and amextravel.com
- $100 airline fee credit: up to $100 in statement credits per year for incidental expenses like baggage fees at one selected airline
- The Hotel Collection: Gold Card Members get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon check-in, when available, when they book a stay of at least two consecutive nights at hotels in the collection
- Personalized Travel Service: provides access to a team of Travel Professionals who can help with travel bookings and vacation packages across air, hotels, transportation, cruise and tour
And, it’s losing one benefit that the old Premier Rewards Golf Card had:
- No more 2X Membership Rewards points on spend at U.S. Gas Stations. Current Premier Rewards Gold Card Members will continue to receive this benefit until October 4, 2019, when this benefit will be discontinued.
The benefit changes have already gone into effect for current cardholders.
American Express is also elevating the look and feel of the beloved Gold Card, by introducing a new sleek metal design. There’s also a limited time opportunity to request a limited edition rose gold version of the Card through January 9, 2019. This is available for current card members as well.
The annual fee on the card will be $250 and it is not waived the first year. That’s a $55 increase compared to the old Premier Rewards Gold Card. The fee used to be waived the first year on the old PRG card as well. If you already have the card, The new fee will go into effect beginning April 1, 2019 on the account renewal date.
There’s some significant upgrades in benefits on the Amex Gold card. The 4X Membership Rewards points at U.S. Restaurants and Supermarkets (on up to $25,000 in purchases annually) is huge. $120 dining credit is also a nice bonus that most people should be able to take advantage of.
But the annual fee is going up to $250 and the welcome bonus is only 25K plus 20% back at restaurants up to $100. I think the news is great for current cardholders who can take advantage of the new benefits already, but for those wanting to apply, the news is not as great. Some people have reported seeing higher offers on the card in the past.
Miles to Memories has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Miles to Memories and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.