(Disclaimer: This is an app that I use and not a paid review. I have no relationship with the app developer.)
I am starting a new feature today on Miles To Memories. Each Saturday I will highlight a great and useful travel app that I personally use. Today’s app is City Maps 2Go.
One of the most frustrating things when traveling abroad is the lack of internet access. Most of the time I am not in a place long enough to warrant buying a local sim card and wifi hotspots never seem to be around at the moment I need them. Often times I just want to search for a restaurant or place of interest, but my phone just sits there without the connectivity to do it.
City Maps 2Go is the solution to this problem. The app provides full city maps that are available offline. In addition, these maps work with your GPS to show you where you are in relation to the points of interest and it stores attraction information including Wikipedia articles for offline consumption.
The main reason I decided to open this series with this app, is because it is now free for a limited time. According to the developer, the app will go back to its normal pricing of $1.99 as of tomorrow, 2/23/14. Now lets take a look at what you can do with it.
City Maps 2Go
2. After opening the app you will be taken to the “My Maps” screen when opening it. As you can see I am getting ready for my trip in two weeks, so I already have some maps loaded. All you have to do is click the little “+” towards the top right to start adding a map of your own. Notice in the screenshot the phone is in airplane mode and has no internet. Of course to download the maps you need an internet connection, but to use them you do not.
3. After clicking the “+” sign you will be taken to the add maps screen. Here you simply need to choose the country and city that you would like to download.
4. After downloading your map go back to the “My Maps” page and click on it. Lets use Singapore as an example.
5. I really want to visit the Marina Bay Sands. Let me search for some more information. To search, click the hourglass at the top. (Notice in the screenshot below that I am offline and the results are coming up.) Now that I have found the Marina Bay Sands I can click on the results.
6. The app has now taken me to the Marina Bay Sands on the map. (Below) I can see where I am in relation to it by using the GPS or I can click on it to get more information.
7. After tapping on the Marina Bay Sands name on the map, a screen comes up with reviews and a brief description of the Marina Bay Sands.
8. From this screen you can add the landmark to your bookmarks for easy access later or click on “Read more” which will bring you to the full Wikipedia article for the attraction.
It isn’t always possible to research every possible location before visiting a city. City Maps 2Go solves that problem by giving you a vast amount of information at your fingertips without the need for an internet connection. I also really love the ability to use your GPS while offline. Most apps don’t offer that feature and I plan to use that function while traveling in the next few weeks.
Since City Maps 2Go is free until tomorrow, I highly suggest downloading it just in case you have a use for it in the future. Let me know if you have used this app before and what you think. Also, please let me know if you have a suggestion for a great travel app to mention here. Thanks!