Cover Photo: Courtesy Virgin America
Delta & Virgin America Sales
Delta and Virgin America both have sales going on that I think are worth mentioning. Let’s take a look.
Delta Award Flash Sale
Delta is discounting awards to many Caribbean and Mexican destinations by as much as 35%.
Enjoy major mileage savings to the Caribbean and the beaches of Mexico, starting at 35% off regular Award prices (savings exclude taxes and fees).
- Origins & Destinations: One-Way Awards starting at 11,000 miles plus taxes and fees on select flights to the Caribbean and Mexico.
- Fares: Starting at 11,000 miles one-way plus taxes and fees
- Purchase By: August 17, 2016
- Travel Period: September 6 through November 16, 2016
You can find the full terms along with a complete list of destination airports on the offer page.
While you have to manually search through cities and dates, I was pretty easily able to find one-way fares for 11K miles to Mexico. If the dates work for you and if you can find sale rates for your routes, then this has the potential to be a very good deal. It is definitely worth a look!
HT: The Points Guy
Virgin America 2 for 1 Premium Sale
Virgin America is offering 2 for 1 base fares on their premium Main Cabin Select seating. What is Main Cabin Select? Well this is how they describe it:
Fly in style in Main Cabin Select with sweet perks like six extra inches of legroom, complimentary food and drinks, one free checked bag, plush leather seats, on-demand entertainment and games, plus priority security and boarding. These are Premium Economy seats, on another level.
Sounds pretty nice, but is it a good deal? Let’s look.
Get two base fares for the price of one with the code TWOFER.
- Ends at 11:59pm PT on Wednesday, August 17, 2016.
- This offer is valid on non-refundable fares in Main Cabin Select only.
- Offer is valid in the following markets: FLL-LAX, FLL-SFO, JFK-LAS, OGG-SFO, DAL-SFO, DAL-LAX, DAL-LAS, DAL-DCA, DAL-LGA, DEN-SFO, LAS-LAX, LAS-SFO, LAX-SFO, SAN-SFO, PSP-SFO, PDX-SFO, LAX-SEA, SEA-SFO.
- Offer is not valid for any multi-city itineraries.
- Travel must occur between August 23, 2016 and October 5, 2016.
- Travel bookings require a 7-day advance purchase.
- Discount is not valid for travel on Sundays.
- Blackout dates are as follows: 9/2/16 and 9/5/16.
You can find the full offer terms on this promo page.
While this is far from scientific, I picked a random dates to look at the LAS-DAL route. On September 15-17 two passengers could fly for $292.40 in regular economy with no promo. That is 2 tickets in coach. If we apply the promo and select the same flights in premium economy, then it comes to $324.40 total. Not a bad little upgrade.
Of course that price will vary based on routes and price, but getting the extra legroom and other amenities on board may definitely be worth it, especially on longer flights. In this case I would definitely pay $32 more for the better seats and service.
HT: Pizza in Motion
Both of these sales do have some restrictions and neither is going to be for everyone. With that said, they both offer very nice discounts and I think they will be great for some people. Either way, take a look and if it makes sense click over to see if you can save some money and/or points!