Join over 6,000 people who are subscribed to receive a once daily email with all of our posts. Never miss out! Click here to subscribe.
Learn how to maximize your points & miles! Join Our Facebook Group!
IHG Share Forever – Brand New Promotion
IHG is continuing with their gamification of the hotel rewards space. Today they announced their new “Share Forever” program in partnership with Coca Cola.
The promotion, which runs from May 1, 2015 through September 7, 2015 allows members to earn points for themselves and share them with friends and family as well.
As with most of their recent promotions, there are multiple targeted versions of this offer. It seems that the targeted portion is your number of goal nights and points you will receive. Each of the gifts offered at each tier are the same across all accounts.
Earnings are based in relation to stays above your goal. My goal is 3 nights.
Here are the earning thresholds:
- Stay 1 Night: Earn 500 for me and 500 to share.
- Stay 3 Nights (Goal): Earn 3,000 additional points and 1,000 to share.
- Stay 7 Nights (4 Nights Above Goal): Earn 2,000 additional points and 2,000 to share.
- Stay 11 Nights (8 Nights Above Goal): Earn 8,000 additional points and gold elite status to share.
- Stay 15 Nights (12 Nights Above Goal): Earn 25,000 additional points or a free night and 25,000 points or a free night to share.
- Stay 33 Nights (30 Nights Above Goal): Earn 30,000 additional points and 30,000 points to share.
My Combined Earning Rates:
- 1 Night: 1,000 points
- 3 Nights: 5,000 points total
- 7 Nights: 9,000 points total
- 11 Nights: 17,000 points plus Gold elite status to share
- 15 Nights: 67,000 points or 17,000 points and 2 free nights.
- 33 Nights: 127,000 points or 77,000 points plus 2 free nights.
You can find the full promotion terms here. I can’t see where it says whether you can keep the “shared” points for yourself or not, but my guess is you should be able to. I will try to get clarification on that point.
Gone are the days of earning tens of thousands of IHG Rewards points for staying just a few nights. IHG has definitely figured out this gamifaction thing and the promotions are simply not as generous as they once were.
To get any true value out of this promotion I need to stay 15 nights. By doing that I would receive 2 free nights and 17,000 points plus any other normal earnings, but that just isn’t enough for me. Sure I could possibly get some decent value out of those points, but finding 15 affordable nights isn’t easy.
For someone who already has a lot of upcoming stays or for business travelers, this promotion may just make sense. (Of course we will have to see the promotions from competing chains.) Generally I look for promos that make me shift a few nights or a couple of stays and this isn’t one.
While everyone’s offers are different, my guess is the theme will be that you will need to stay quite a few nights before you see any real benefit. Please feel free to share your offers and thoughts in the comments!
This post may contain referral, affiliate or sponsor links that provide Miles to Memories compensation. Thank you for your support.