Office Depot/Officemax Amex Gift Card Instant Rebate
I love when office supply stores have deals on gift cards. We haven’t seen a deal from Office Depot or Officemax for awhile, however Staples deals have been fairly frequent. The nice thing about Office Depot and Officemax is their rebates are instant and you don’t have to wait to get your money. Let’s look at this coming week’s Amex gift card deal.
- Save $10 When you buy $150 or more in American Express® Gift Cards.
- Offer valid 6/19/16 to 6/25/16.
- Limit 2 offers per household/business.
Maximizing the Deal
This deal is best maximized by using a card that earns 5X at office supply stores like the Chase Ink Plusor Chase Ink Cash. You can also use an Amex SimplyCash Plus which earns 5% cashback at office supply stores.
Using the Chase Ink, the optimal strategy is to purchase 2 of the $200 cards which cost $206.95 each. Here is the math:
- Cost: $413.90
- Instant Savings: $20
- Final Cost: -$6.10
- UR Points Earned: 2,070
Need to Know
- Amex gift cards are not PIN-enabled and cannot be loaded to prepaid cards such as Bluebird/Serve.
- You can use Amex gift cards to buy merchandise anywhere Amex is accepted and some stores will allow you to buy other gift cards with them.
- Some stores will allow you to purchase more than 2 if you have separate businesses, however the discount may be limited to two per transaction.
This deal isn’t as good as Visa or Mastercard gift card deals since those cards are easier to dispose of, but this is still a negative cost way to earn a few bucks plus 5X Ultimate Rewards if you have a Chase Ink. For many, using the Amex gift cards for normal spend may be a good move considering the profit and 5X.
HT: Doctor of Credit