Southwest Spending Offer – Earn 25% More Points Up To 25K
Reader Lara reached out to us with an interesting Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus credit card offer (should be on multiple versions). The Southwest spending offer will allow people to earn 25% more Rapids Rewards points on upcoming purchases. I am not sure if it is targeted or not since I do not have a Southwest Rapid Rewards credit card. Be sure to check your email for the offer and your Rapid Rewards account.
Details on the Offer
The details of the offer are as follows:
- To be eligible for this bonus offer, you must register between 11/1/2019 and 2/29/2020 11:59 p.m. ET
- have a minimum of 6,000 points earned from Rapid Rewards Credit Card post to your Rapid Rewards account during the promotion period of 12/1/2019 and 2/29/2020
- You will qualify for and receive a 25% bonus on points earned from your Rapid Rewards credit card which are also posted to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account during the promotional period.
- Points that are earned from your Rapid Rewards credit card during the promotional period but are not posted to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account during the promotional period will not receive the 25% bonus points.
- The 25% bonus points will count towards Companion Pass qualification, but will not count toward A-List or A-List Preferred qualification.
- Allow up to 8 weeks after the promotion for the 25% bonus to post.
- Maximum bonus point accumulation during the promotional period is 25,000 bonus points per Rapid Rewards account.
- Welcome offers will not earn a 25% bonus.
Breaking Down The Deal
You have to spend at least $6,000 in a 3 month period for this bonus to trigger. They will pay out a bonus on up to $100,000 of spend. I don’t think they picked that figure by accident since you would earn 25,000 bonus points on that spend. That would give you 125,000 Rapid Rewards points, the new amount needed to earn a companion pass. As long as you started the spend AFTER your December statement closes everything should count towards the 2020 C.P. requirement.
If you paired spending with this offer and a welcome offer of 70,000 Rapid Rewards points for the Southwest Performance Business card you could earn it with $40,000 of spend. That isn’t great but more obtainable at least.
For the regular person looking to add some more points to their account and wondering if this is a good deal let’s break down the numbers. Southwest Rapid Rewards points are worth around 1.5 cents a piece. With a 25% bump that brings the earning up to 1.875% in return on 1X earning. That is decent but you would be better off with a 2% back card like the Citi DoubleCash. This deal only really makes sense if you have a lot of paid Southwest flights where you would be getting 2.5 points per dollar or if you are chasing a Companion Pass via spend.
This deal could be used to bridge the gap on Companion Pass earning but it isn’t a great option. I know there are some people out there with near unlimited spend capabilities that may think it is worth it. The other option would be if you had a lot of paid flights upcoming on Southwest since the 2X or 3X earning should get a 25% bonus too.
As for an everyday option it still falls short of the 2% back you would earn with the Citi DoubleCash.