Disclosure: Miles to Memories has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Miles to Memories and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Links in this post may provide us with a commission.
Ninja Tricks: Stack Fuel Promos on Best Buy & Other Gift Cards to Save Big!
Stop&Shop has a promotion that can earn you lots of fuel points when you purchase select gift cards. Shell’s Fuel Rewards program also has a great offer that can save you money at the pump when you use a MasterCard. Stack the two together and you should get some free gas. Let’s see how this works.
Stop&Shop/Giant Fuel Points Promotion
Earn 10X fuel points when you purchase any of the eligible brands, which are:
- Best Buy
- Bass Pro Shops
- Valid 12/8-12/14/17
- Must use club card
- Fuel Points discount is usually limited to $1.50/gal
Shell Fuel Rewards Mastercard Promotion
Earn 15¢/gal for every $100 you spend with a linked Mastercard at participating grocery stores.
How It Works
- Join the Fuel Rewards program or log in to your account.
- Link a Mastercard credit, debit or prepaid card to your Fuel Rewards account.
- Use your linked Mastercard when shopping at Stop & Shop.
- Select “credit” as the payment type when checking out.
- Earn an additional 15¢/gal in Fuel Rewards savings for every $100 you spend in accumulated purchases.
- This offer is available till 3/31/2018.
- You must be a Fuel Rewards member.
- Must have a valid Mastercard credit, debit, and/or prepaid card issued by a U.S. financial institution that is registered and linked to your Fuel Rewards® account
- You can register and link up to 5 Mastercard cards to your Fuel Rewards® account.
- Must pay for your qualified purchases at participating grocery stores with your Linked Mastercard
- You can earn up to a maximum of $125/gal in savings for the Mastercard 15¢ Grocer Bonus.
- Fuel Rewards® savings earned through the Offer will post to your Fuel Rewards® account approximately 5–7 business days after you reach $100 in accumulated qualified spend.
- Fuel Rewards® savings can be used on fill-ups up to 20 gallons.
The Shell Fuel Rewards offer is a great offer on its own. You get a discount of 15¢/gal for every $100 you spend at Stop & Shop. What makes it much better is the fact that it can be stacked with Stop & Shop’s Gas Rewards program. Stop& Shop often has promotions on gift cards, such as this one where you can earn 10x on Best Buy gift cards for example.
If you use a Mastercard that’s linked to your Shell Fuel Rewards account for those purchases you would earn 10X Fuel Points plus 15¢/gallons for every $100 you spend at Stop & Shop. It will most likely result in almost free gas for many. Both discounts can be used on up to 20 gallons per fill up.
Let’s assume that gas in your area is $2.55/gal. You can get up to $1.50 off through Stop & Shop’s Gas Rewards program. You would need to purchase just $150 in Best Buy gift cards to do that. Then, if you spend $550 more for a total of $700, you would earn 7×15¢=$1.05 off per gallon. Stack the two and you have free gas.
Shell Fuel Rewards offer is going on till the end of march so hopefully we’ll see more gift card promotions that can be stacked with it. This makes it worthwhile forfeiting 5X or 6X rewards on an Amex card and going with a Mastercard instead, after linking it to your Shell account.
Miles to Memories has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Miles to Memories and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.