HUGE Amex Platinum 100K Bonus Returns - Check now to see if you are targeted.
Staples Amex Gift Card Rebate Deal
I love me some Staples gift card deals. Following a long dry spell at the beginning of the year, Staples has pretty regularly had Visa & Mastercard deals about once a month including last week’s Visa deal. This time they are back with a deal on Amex gift cards which isn’t as good, but will still be nice for some. Let’s take a look.
- When you buy $300 in American Express® Gift Cards get a $20 Staples® Gift Card.
- Valid 6/5/16–6/11/16.
- Limit 1 offer per household.
- In-store only.
Maximizing the Deal
This deal is best maximized by using a card that earns 5X at office supply stores like the Chase Ink Plus or Chase Ink Cash. You can also use an Amex SimplyCash Plus which earns 5% cashback at office supply stores. This will also work well with the 5% back Amex Offer.
Using the Chase Ink, the optimal strategy is to purchase 2 of the $200 cards which cost $206.95 each. Here is the math:
- Cost: $413.90
- Minus Rebate: $20
- Final Cost: -$6.10
- UR Points Earned: 2,070
You could also purchase a $200 card and a $100 card, but the savings of $1 on fees doesn’t justify the loss of 500 Ultimate Rewards points on the extra $100 in spend.
Need to Know
- Amex gift cards are not PIN-enabled and cannot be loaded to prepaid cards such as Bluebird/Serve.
- You can use Amex gift cards to buy merchandise anywhere Amex is accepted and some stores will allow you to buy other gift cards with them.
- Amex gift cards seem to be much easier to find at Staples compared to their Visa & Mastercard counterparts which should make participating in this deal a bit easier.
No this deal isn’t as good as Visa or Mastercard gift card deals since those cards are easier to dispose of, but this is still a negative cost way to earn a few bucks plus 5X Ultimate Rewards if you have a Chase Ink. Since my local stores almost never have Visas anymore, I appreciate deals like these since there is always an abundant stock of Amex gift cards.
Links on this page/site may go to advertisers who have a financial relationship with various financial institutions. Miles to Memories is not a bank affiliate. We always post links to the very best offers no matter the source.
This post may contain referral, affiliate or sponsor links that provide Miles to Memories compensation. Thank you for your support.