Staples Amex Gift Card Rebate Deal
I love me some Staples gift card deals. Following a long dry spell at the beginning of the year, Staples has pretty regularly had Visa & Mastercard deals about once a month including last week’s Visa deal. This time they are back with a deal on Amex gift cards which isn’t as good, but will still be nice for some. Let’s take a look.
- When you buy $300 in American Express® Gift Cards get a $20 Staples® Gift Card.
- Valid 6/5/16–6/11/16.
- Limit 1 offer per household.
- In-store only.
Maximizing the Deal
This deal is best maximized by using a card that earns 5X at office supply stores like the Chase Ink Plus or Chase Ink Cash. You can also use an Amex SimplyCash Plus which earns 5% cashback at office supply stores. This will also work well with the 5% back Amex Offer.
Using the Chase Ink, the optimal strategy is to purchase 2 of the $200 cards which cost $206.95 each. Here is the math:
- Cost: $413.90
- Minus Rebate: $20
- Final Cost: -$6.10
- UR Points Earned: 2,070
You could also purchase a $200 card and a $100 card, but the savings of $1 on fees doesn’t justify the loss of 500 Ultimate Rewards points on the extra $100 in spend.
Need to Know
- Amex gift cards are not PIN-enabled and cannot be loaded to prepaid cards such as Bluebird/Serve.
- You can use Amex gift cards to buy merchandise anywhere Amex is accepted and some stores will allow you to buy other gift cards with them.
- Amex gift cards seem to be much easier to find at Staples compared to their Visa & Mastercard counterparts which should make participating in this deal a bit easier.
No this deal isn’t as good as Visa or Mastercard gift card deals since those cards are easier to dispose of, but this is still a negative cost way to earn a few bucks plus 5X Ultimate Rewards if you have a Chase Ink. Since my local stores almost never have Visas anymore, I appreciate deals like these since there is always an abundant stock of Amex gift cards.
Links on this page/site may go to advertisers who have a financial relationship with various financial institutions. Miles to Memories is not a bank affiliate. We always post links to the very best offers no matter the source.