It's Amazon Prime Day! Check out our curated Prime Day 2018 MASTER THREAD of Deals!
Staples Amex Gift Card Rebate Deal
I love Staples gift card deals, but when they come on the heels of a fine Office Depot deal (which turned out better than expected), they do seem a little lackluster. Either way, Staples will be having a rebate on Amex gift cards this coming week. Let’s take a look.
- Get a $20 Staples® Gift Card after Staples® easy rebate when you buy $300 in American Express® Gift Cards.
- Valid 8/28/16-9/3/16.
- Limit 1 offer per household.
- In-store only.
- Promo not valid in VT.
Maximizing the Deal
This deal is best maximized by using a card that earns 5X at office supply stores like the Chase Ink Plus or Chase Ink Cash. You can also use an Amex SimplyCash Plus which earns 5% cashback at office supply stores. This will also work well with the 5% back Amex Offer.
Using the Chase Ink, the optimal strategy is to purchase 2 of the $200 cards which cost $206.95 each. Here is the math:
- Cost: $413.90
- Minus Rebate: $20
- Final Cost: -$6.10
- UR Points Earned: 2,070
You could also purchase a $200 card and a $100 card, but the savings of $1 on fees doesn’t justify the loss of 500 Ultimate Rewards points on the extra $100 in spend.
Need to Know
- Amex gift cards are not PIN-enabled and cannot be loaded to prepaid cards such as Bluebird/Serve.
- You can use Amex gift cards to buy merchandise anywhere Amex is accepted and some stores will allow you to buy other gift cards with them.
- Amex gift cards seem to be much easier to find at Staples compared to their Visa & Mastercard counterparts which should make participating in this deal a bit easier.
- The rebate comes as a Staples store gift card. It can be used at Staples or sold for up to 85% of face value.
No this deal isn’t as good as Visa or Mastercard gift card deals since those cards are easier to dispose of, but this is still a negative cost way to earn a few bucks plus 5X Ultimate Rewards if you have a Chase Ink. For those who have a use for the Amex cards and/or for those of you who don’t have access to Office Depot/Officemax this week, this could be an alright way to go.
This post may contain referral, affiliate or sponsor links that provide Miles to Memories compensation. Thank you for your support.