Staples Gift Card Promotions
I love Staples gift card deals and next week they have a few including a rebate on Amex gift cards and 20% off select merchant gift cards. Let’s take a look.
Staples Amex Gift Card Rebate Deal
- Get a $20 Staples gift card after Easy Rebate when you buy $300 in American Express gift cards.
- Valid 12/4/16 – 12/10/16
- In-store only
Note: Previous deals have always been one per household, however the ad doesn’t mention that limitation. I would expect that it has a limit of one, however we will need to wait until the rebate form is uploaded to their site to confirm.
Maximizing the Deal
This deal is best maximized by using a card that earns 5X at office supply stores like the Chase Ink Plus or Chase Ink Cash. You can also use an Amex SimplyCash Plus which earns 5% cashback at office supply stores.
Using the Chase Ink, the optimal strategy is to purchase 2 of the $200 cards which cost $206.95 each. Here is the math:
- Cost: $413.90
- Minus Rebate: $20
- Final Cost: -$6.10
- UR Points Earned: 2,070
You could also purchase a $200 card and a $100 card, but the savings of $1 on fees doesn’t justify the loss of 500 Ultimate Rewards points on the extra $100 in spend.
Need to Know
- Amex gift cards are not PIN-enabled and cannot be loaded to prepaid cards such as Bluebird/Serve.
- You can use Amex gift cards to buy merchandise anywhere Amex is accepted and some stores will allow you to buy other gift cards with them.
- Amex gift cards seem to be much easier to find at Staples compared to their Visa & Mastercard counterparts which should make participating in this deal a bit easier.
- The rebate comes as a Staples store gift card. It can be used at Staples or sold for up to 85% of face value.
20% Off Select Gift Cards
Staples will also be offering 20% off select merchant gift cards when you purchase $50 or more. In the add the following cards are pictured: Petco, Xbox and Toys R Us. It is unclear if this promotion will be in-store only or online as well and if additional cards will be discounted. If the promotion is available online, it will be stackable with the recent Amex Offer for additional savings.
While I would much rather have a Visa gift card deal along with a rebate that comes in the form of a Visa gift card, I know many people still feel comfortable liquidating Amex gift cards and this could be a good deal for them. In my opinion the 20% off deal is the one to really look at though, especially if it is available online since those Amex Offers are probably burning a hole in many people’s pockets.
HT: Doctor of Credit