Disclosure: Miles to Memories has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Miles to Memories and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Links in this post may provide us with a commission.
Last week I talked about an amazing deal where you can buy $200 Visa gift cards on the Staples website and actually make money by going through a cash back portal. I know many people are waiting to see how things turn out for others before proceeding, so I thought that I would post this follow up along with directions on how to activate and register each card.
Staples Visa Gift Cards
Note: If you haven’t received the envelope with the activation codes, click here for instructions on how to activate the cards via the telephone.
The Visa gift cards that Staples sells on their website are shipped and distributed by Gift Card Mall. This means that you shouldn’t expect anything with Staples branding to come in the mail. Instead, you will receive two envelopes from Gift Card Mall with a return address as shown in the photos below.
Envelope 1 (Contains The Activation Codes)
Envelope 1 is a normal letter sized orange envelope that says “Card Activation Receipt”. (This usually arrives before the other envelope, but it may arrive after as well.) This envelope contains unique 4-digit activation codes for each Visa gift card in your order.
Envelope 2 (Contains The Actual Gift Cards)
Since my recent orders had multiple gift cards, the envelope containing the actual cards is shown above. In the past I have ordered single gift cards and they have come in a normal white letter envelope. Note that the return address is the same on both the activation code envelope and the one containing the actual card(s).
Activating the gift cards is a simple process, but it can take a little time if you have many gift cards. I will walk you through the process.
1. Go to http://wl.GiftCardMall.com/activate (Note: The paperwork says to go to giftcardmall.com/activate. Unfortunately that leads to a newer version of the website which doesn’t work to activate these cards as of July, 2015. The link above is a backdoor link to the old version of the website. As you can see, the “www” is replaced with “wl”.
2. If you ordered less than 15 cards in one order, then you must activate each card individually. Under “Select Activation Type” click the “Individual Card” button.
3. Type in the 16-digit Visa gift card number and the corresponding activation code.
4. Enter the “Security Code” as displayed on the screen.
5. If you would like to opt-in to receive special offers then fill in your name and email address. If not, then uncheck the box. When everything is completed, click the “Activate” button.
6. You should be taken to a page that confirms the card is activated. Note: Two times I was given a message that the card would be activated within 24 hours since the website seemed to time out. I found that the cards were still activated right away despite this message. All other times I was given the “Card Activated” message as shown below.
7. To activate another card, simply click the yellow “Go Back” button on the confirmation page (shown above) and repeat the process.
It is important to know that you DO NOT need to register your cards if you are going to use them in a store or to load your Bluebird or Serve cards at Walmart. If you want to use the cards for online purchases, then you will need to register the cards.
These cards are issued by Meta Bank which means that you don’t need to call or go online to set a pin number. By default, the pin number is the last four digits of the Visa gift card number.
1. On the first Go Wallet screen, enter the Visa gift card number and expiration date and click “Next”.
2. You will now be asked to create a new Go Wallet account or to sign into your existing account.
3. Next up is the registration page where you can link the Visa gift card to your name and address. When everything is complete, click “Submit Registration.”
4. You will now see the card in your Go Wallet account. You can change the registration information and the pin once it is registered if you so desire.
Activating and registering the Visa gift cards purchased from Staples is very easy. While I don’t really feel the need to register the cards, you always have that option. Combined with a Chase Ink Bold or Plus card and 5% cash back at Upromise or 6% back at Swagbucks, this is an easy way to earn points, meet minimum spend and make a little money!
Please let me know if you have any questions!
Miles to Memories has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Miles to Memories and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.