Target Circle: Target’s New Rewards Program
I love myself some Target, even when their whole computer system crashes. Buying Target gift cards at office stores is one of my favorite ways to rack up 5X Ultimate Rewards points with my Chase Ink Cash card. That is why I was excited to hear that they are launching Target Circle their new rewards program. The program will be launched nationwide so I thought I would give a Target Circle program overview.
Target Circle: What Is It?
Target Circle will be launching nationwide October 6th and it will be a free program for everyone. Here are some of the perks of the program:
- Hundreds of deals. Get access to deals, plus offers just for you.
- Celebrate your big day with 5% off a shopping trip.
- Earn 1% when you shop to redeem at Target later or continue saving 5% with REDcard.
- Help direct where Target gives in your community.
The new program will be taking over the Cartwheel app that you all have become so accustomed to.
Target Circle: How It Works
REDcard and Target.com account holders will be automatically enrolled. If you do not have either account then you can sign up when the program launches on October 6th. When you are shopping you can access your account in the following ways:
- Enter your mobile number or scan Wallet.
- It will be automatically applied when you shop online with your Target.com account.
- If you forget to add your account you can enter your receipt on the dashboard.
But Wait No REDcard? Gift Cards Are Your Friend!
It would be amazing if you could stack the 5% off your REDcard earns with the 1% you get from the Target Circle program but that isn’t the case. This is where gift cards become your friend. If you are willing to do a little legwork you can still get 5% or more off of your Target shopping plus the 1% back from Target Circle.
The trick is to purchase gift cards at places and with credit cards that you earn more than 5% back on. Here are some examples:
- Office Supply Stores with Chase Ink Cash/Plus
- Grocery Stores with American Express Blue Cash Preferred (Learn More)
- Earn 6% back when purchasing the Target gift card at a grocery store. Stack these savings by earning fuel points at stores like Kroger with the purchase for even more savings!
- Grocery Stores (U.S. only) with the American Express Gold Card (Learn More)
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards points worth 6% back when you transfer them to travel partners to book your next vacation. Also stack this option with fuel rewards.
Those are the three options I would use most often but there are of course others. These will all bring you more of a return than using your Target REDcard and you would get the 1% Target Circle bonus as well.
If you time your gift card purchase with Kroger’s 4X fuel points promos a $100 target gift card would get you 40 cents off per gallon of gas, $6 in credit card cash back (Learn More) and $1 in Target Circle rewards. That is a great discount on your shopping trip!
I do a lot of our grocery shopping at Target and Target Circle will give me even more of a reason to shop there. I plan on stacking credit card rewards by purchasing Target gift cards and then racking up Target Circle rewards on top of it. That is the winning combination right there.
Are you willing to jump through the hoops for the extra savings or will you simply stick with your Target REDcard?