Disclosure: Miles to Memories has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Miles to Memories and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Links in this post may provide us with a commission.
United MileagePlus Back to School Bonus
Mileage portal spending bonuses are among my favorite ways to pad my balance throughout the year. United has run a couple of smaller bonuses this summer and now they are coming back with a larger bonus for back to school. Let’s take a look!
- Spend $250, earn 500 miles.
- Spend $750, earn 1,500 miles.
- Spend $1,000, earn 2,000 miles.
- Promotion runs from 07/21/16 through 08/12/16 at 11:59:59 pm ET (the “Bonus Period”).
- During the Bonus Period, Member will earn a one-time bonus of up to 2,000 MileagePlus® bonus award miles on qualifying purchases, in addition to the standard MileagePlus miles earned from shopping online through the MileagePlus® Shopping mall.
- “Qualifying purchases” do not include returns, cancellations, shipping and handling, taxes, gift card or other cash equivalent purchases, and certain products that are not eligible for bonus miles.
You can find the full details and terms here.
Unlike some promotions in the past where there was a sweet spot, this is pretty straightforward. They are giving an extra 2X miles per dollar at each threshold so it makes sense to figure out which level you want to hit and get as close as possible to it. Since you earn 2X per dollar on top of the normal payout, this will make sense for a lot of people, especially if you are shopping at a store where they have a competitive payout.
All of the major mileage portals are run by Cartera and in past years the other portals have had back to school bonuses so it is possible this is just the beginning. Either way, enjoy your extra 2X per dollar and don’t spend too much or if you are reselling, spend a lot!
HT: Doctor of Credit
Miles to Memories has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Miles to Memories and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.