Join over 5,000 people who are subscribed to receive a once daily email with all of our posts. Never miss out! Click here to subscribe.
Learn how to maximize your points & miles! Join Our Facebook Group!
IHG Announces Increases As Much As 100%
Back on April 14, 2015 I covered IHG’s stealth devaluation. As part of their announcement of a new top tier and the change of their point expiration policy, they slipped in a paragraph about 450 properties changing in category. (300 going up and 150 going down.)
At the time they didn’t release a list of properties changing in cost. Fortunately now we know which ones will be going up and which ones will be going down.
Some Notable Increases
Right now the full list of properties is in the form of a PDF file which isn’t easily sortable. Here are some interesting increases that I was able to find:
- Intercontinental Hong Kong from 45k to 50k
- Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam 40k to 50k
- Crowne Plaza Niagara Fallas 30k to 40k
- Intercontinental Presidente Cozumel Resort Spa 30k to 40k
- Holiday Inn Sydney 25k to 35k
- Holiday Inn Paris Opera – Grand Blvds 30k to 35k
- Holiday Inn Singapore Atrium 25k to 35k
- Holiday Inn Vancouver-Centre 20k to 30k
- Holiday Inn Express Bahrain 10k to 20k
- Holiday Inn Rotorua 10k to 20k
In a statement to View from the Wing, the company points out that this is the first increase in over two years and that over 90% of their 4,840 properties are remaining the same. They also indicated that the changes will be posted online a few days before going live on May 1.
From what I saw when reading the list, most hotels dropping in categories are lower tiers. There are also a fair number of properties jumping 10,000 points and many are doubling from 10,000 to 20,000 points. I recommend taking a look for yourself, since it is difficult to sort through the properties in their current format.
This post may contain referral, affiliate or sponsor links that provide Miles to Memories compensation. Thank you for your support.