Join over 5,000 people who are subscribed to receive a once daily email with all of our posts. Never miss out! Click here to subscribe.
Learn how to maximize your points & miles! Join Our Facebook Group!
Free Night With 1 Night Stay
Back in November I covered SPG’s announcement that part of the SLS Las Vegas will become to The W Las Vegas. That conversion is ongoing, but the rest of the SLS has already joined Starwood’s Tribute Porftolio Collection and is bookable with Starpoints on SPG.com.
To celebrate this new partnership, SPG has setup a new promotional game. To play, you simply register on this site with your SPG Member # and email and then pick a card. You will then “win” one of the following prizes:
- 500 Bonus Starpoints per stay.
- 1,000 Bonus Starpoints per stay.
- Free Night Award.
- Two Uber Rides.
Free Night Terms
Prizes 1, 2 & 4 are alright (find their terms here), but option 3 has me excited. Of course free night awards rarely come without strings and this one is no exception. Here are the key terms:
- Registered members may earn a Free Night Award on eligible stays of one or more consecutive nights.
- A maximum of one (1) Free Night Award can be earned during the Promotion Period for this offer.
- Offer is eligible with other Starpoints or free nights promotions; however, each offer will award bonus independently of each other, and offers are not combinable.
- Free Night Awards earned during the promotion will post within 2-4 weeks of the qualifying bookings being consumed and posting to your account.
- Free Night Awards can be redeemed for a standard room at any participating Category 1–6 hotel.
- Free Night Awards must be redeemed for stays between January 29 and July 31, 2016.
I can work with these terms, especially considering I will earn a certificate good at up to a category 6 hotel. Like I did with IHG’s Accelerate promotion, I am considering a mattress run to earn this night, but the real question is, “How Much Will It Cost?”.
How Much Does It Cost?
I should make it clear that you aren’t guaranteed to get this “prize”. Out of all of my family’s accounts, one person got the free night. If you do get the free night, then you must look towards the cost of acquisition. Thankfully I have decent news in that department.
After using a flexible date search and looking at the next couple of months, I found $59 mid-week rates for several different nights. That sounds low and great, but remember this is Vegas and we have high hotel taxes and of course don’t forget the $29 resort fee! Here is the final cost with all fees:
Is It Worth It?
So it will cost $98.56 to earn a free night in a Category 1-6 Starwood property. That is absolutely worth it if you have a specific redemption in mind. Most higher category SPG properties are going to cost much more than $98 per night and a category 6 hotel goes for 20K-25K per night in points.
For me as a Vegas local, this is sort of painful since the SLS money is a sunk cost, but if you are visiting anyway and can enjoy the room plus earn a free night, then it definitely makes a ton of sense.
While I know this promotion won’t be for everyone, it can’t really hurt to head over to the promotion site and play your card to see which prize you get. If you get the free night prize and will be in Vegas or live here, then it might be worth mattress running. Oh the crazy things we do for “free” travel. 🙂
This post may contain referral, affiliate or sponsor links that provide Miles to Memories compensation. Thank you for your support.