Disclosure: Miles to Memories has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Miles to Memories and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Links in this post may provide us with a commission.
American Airlines Introduces 5k Web Only Awards
This week American Airlines added a new award ticket redemption option called “Economy Web Special” that is even cheaper than the Economy MilesAAver option. I can’t imagine many people are too excited about this because of the limited route options. The web special option doesn’t appear to have a set price but starts at only 5K miles and is currently only available on very select routes. I found it interesting that the option is available even on days with no SAAver availability for a reduced price. You can see an example of this from the pictures below.
According to JT Genter at TPG the program is being launched on just six routes:
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) — Wichita (ICT)
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) — Corpus Christi (CRP)
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) — Brownsville South Padre Island (BRO)
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) — McAllen (MFE)
- Phoenix (PHX) — Long Beach (LGB)
- Charlotte (CLT) — Orlando-Melbourne (MLB)
Note that all of these routes are under 500 miles so the SAAver Mileage required to book these tickets would be 7.5K.
Economy Web Special Awards Terms
- Economy Web Special awards are available exclusively on aa.com and may be offered on select flights and dates for fewer miles than either the MileSAAver or AAnytime award level.
- Travel is in the Main Cabin, and mileage levels vary by date and flight.
- Tickets that include an Economy Web Special award don’t allow changes and there is a $150 fee to cancel and reinstate your miles. The fee is waived only for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members.
American is my preferred airline thanks to elite status but I don’t think this is anything great. I could change my mind if more routes were added. If you’re able to save a few thousand miles on one of these routes, great.
Miles to Memories has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Miles to Memories and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.