American Express Platinum Mercedes Benz Card Will Be Discontinued
American Express and Mercedes Benz Card will end their credit card partnership in January 2019. There’s currently two joint cards offered, Mercedes-Benz Credit Card from American Express and Platinum Card® from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz. Both cards will be gone in 2019 and the latter will be a blow to those who crave Platinum benefits and another Membership Rewards bonus.
For now the cards are still available for applications but a note on the application page mentions that they will be converted with a different American Express card when the program ends.
Please note that the American Express and Mercedes Benz Card program will end in January 2019. Applicants can continue to apply for the Mercedes-Benz Credit Card from American Express, but, if approved, the Card will be replaced with a different American Express Card at the time when the Card program ends.
The Platinum version will likely be converted to a regular personal Amex Platinum credit card. We’ll have to wait and see what the $95 fee card will be converted to.
- Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $5,000 in purchases on the Card in the first three months of Card Membership.†
- Annual Fee $550
- Mercedes-Benz Credit Card from American Express
- Earn 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $1,000 in purchases on the Card in the first three months of Card Membership.†
- Annual Fee $95
Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz Perks
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com
- Earn 5X points on select Mercedes-Benz purchases
- $200 Airline Fee Credit annually
- $100 certificate to be used towards the purchase of Genuine Mercedes-Benz Accessories
- $1,000 certificate to apply towards the purchase price or lease down payment of a new Mercedes-Benz after charging $5,000 of eligible purchases to your Mercedes-Benz Card account during a reward year
- Excess Mileage Waiver of up to 2,000 excess miles at the time of lease termination of a new Mercedes-Benz vehicle
The Platinum version is the most interesting option of the too Amex Mercedes-Benz cards. American Express Platinum Mercedes Benz Card currently has a 60,000 Membership Rewards bonus and it comes will all the benefits and perks of the regular Amex Platinum card. Most importantly, it is considered a different Amex product, so it is another option to get another bonus and those coveted perks for at least another year. We have seen higher bonuses on the card, as much as 75,000, but considering that the card will disappear in less than a year, I doubt we’ll see an increased bonus again.
The application link is still available for now, but it might disappear well before January 2019. I would suggest applying sooner than later if you’ve been eyeing this flavor of the Amex Platinum card.
Are you planning to apply? What’s your strategy?