Amex SimplyCash Plus $500 Bonus Expiring
A lot of digital ink has been spilled about the Amex Business Platinum 100K offer expiring today. I too even covered that particular offer which I believe is great, but not for everyone. You can find out who I think should and/or shouldn’t get it here.
But there is another great Amex bonus offer expiring today. The Amex SimplyCash Plus card might not get the biggest headlines, but it is a no annual fee card, a solid earner and it has a great bonus offer going on that expires today.
- Earn a $250 statement credit after you spend $5,000 in qualifying purchases on your Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn an additional $250 statement credit after you spend an additional $10,000 or more in qualifying purchases on your Card within the first year of Card Membership. Expires 1/25/2017.
As a reminder, here are some of the benefits of this card:
- No annual fee
- 5% cash back at U.S. office supply stores and on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers. Capped at $50K in spend per year.
- 3% cash back on the category of your choice from a list of eight. (Airfare, hotels, car rentals, gas, advertising, U.S. restaurants, U.S. shipping or U.S. computer hardware. Capped at $50K in spend per year.
- 1% cash back everywhere else
- Amex Offers
- OPEN Savings
First off, this offer has a $15K spending requirement which is quite steep. I know some people have no issues meeting that spending with their businesses, but it is something to consider. Keep in mind that using cash equivalents is against the terms of the bonus and Amex can discount any cash equivalent spending from counting towards it. To my knowledge they have never done this with a public bonus offer, but be aware of it.
With the spending issue now put aside, let’s look at why this card is a gem. First off, it has no annual fee and is a business card. This means that you can keep it long term without a fee and add authorized employee cards which don’t show on personal credit reports. The primary and employee cards all get access to Amex Offers which can be quite lucrative. In other words if the Amex Offers program continues as it is now, you can probably earn hundreds of dollars per year just in offers.
Then there is the amazing 5% cashback at office supply stores. With the Ink Plus now gone and the Ink Cash subject to 5/24, this is a card worth considering. All of those Officemax, Office Depot and Staples Visa/MC deals look mighty attractive at 5% back. Plus, this card has a $50K annual cap which is double the no annual fee Ink Cash.
This card has the ability to put hundreds of dollars a year in your pocket with no annual fee. Additionally getting a $500 sign-up bonus on a no annual fee card is about as good as it gets, although there has been a highly targeted $1,000 offer that very few people have received. (See comments). In my opinion the big hurdle here is spending. If you can meet it then this offer is worth considering. If not, then you may want to pass.
Have you applied for the Amex SimplyCash Plus? What do you like or not like about the card? Share your thoughts in the comments!