BarclayCard Hawaiian Airlines Credit Card, 50K Miles Bonus With $3K Spending
BarclayCard has been issuing the Hawaiian Airlines® World Elite MasterCard for a few years, with a standard bonus of 35,000 miles. But they’ve had for a while now, a better bonus of 50,000 miles. Previously it was possible to get this offer when doing a booking, but there’s also a direct link and the offer has been extended until 1/31/2018.
50,000 bonus Hawaiian Miles are earned if you use your new Credit Card Account for $3,000 in Net Purchases within ninety (90) days of your Credit Card Account being opened.
The card has a $89 annual fee which is not waived the first year.
- Receive a one-time 50% OFF COMPANION DISCOUNT for roundtrip coach travel between Hawaii and North America
- Earn 2X miles on eligible purchases made directly from Hawaiian Airlines
- Earn 1X miles on all other purchases
- Enjoy a COMPLIMENTARY CHECKED BAG for the primary cardmember when you use your card to purchase tickets directly from Hawaiian Airlines
- Discounted award travel
- Get $100 companion discount each account anniversary upon payment of annual fee
- You’ll earn 5,000 bonus miles every anniversary year you make $10,000 or more in purchases
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
This is the highest bonus we have seen on the card, but the value of a sign-up bonus depends on what value you can get out of the miles.
The value of Hawaiian varies, but you can get great value on award travel to Hawaii. It costs 40,000 Hawaiian miles for a round trip in economy class between the continental US and Hawaii, and if you have this card it costs only 35,000. That’s a value of almost 3 cents a mile. But the issue with that valuation is availability which is pretty scarce.
Another good use of Hawaiian miles is for inter-island award flights in Hawaii. They cost just 7,500 miles one-way. You can see the full chart here.
You can also transfer Hawaiian miles to Hilton starting at 10,000 miles, in 10,000 increments at a rate of 1 Hawaiian mile = 1.5 Hilton Honors points. Definitely not a great use of these miles.
This is a good bonus but its value will mainly depend on how you will use these Hawaiian miles. As mentioned above, you could net a free round trip to Hawaii and have miles left over for two inter-island award flights in Hawaii. The spending requirement used to be $1k only but has been increased to $3K. And keep in mind that you will need to pay the $89 annual fee on the card.
HT: Doctor of Credit