2018’s Best Winter Holiday Destinations Plus Interesting Facts
Winter is upon us. The cold season is a great time to travel, either to escape the cold, or embrace it. To help you decide your next getaway, WalletHub today released its 2018’s Best Winter Holiday Destinations report.
Focusing on cost and convenience rather than scenic beauty, WalletHub compared nearly 70 of the largest U.S. metro areas grouped by warm and cold weather. Each destination was analyzed based on 36 key metrics, primarily the expense and hassle of traveling to each location but also on other indicators, such as weather forecasts, safety and variety of activities.
Best Winter Destinations
|Best Cold Destinations||Best Warm Destinations|
|1||Chicago, IL||1||Las Vegas, NV|
|2||Washington, DC||2||Orlando, FL|
|3||Atlanta, GA||3||Los Angeles, CA|
|4||Cincinnati, OH||4||San Diego, CA|
|5||New York, NY||5||Dallas, TX|
|6||Boston, MA||6||Austin, TX|
|7||Portland, OR||7||Houston, TX|
|8||Denver, CO||8||San Francisco, CA|
|9||Philadelphia, PA||9||Tampa, FL|
|10||Pittsburgh, PA||10||San Antonio, TX|
- The average flight to a popular cold winter destination costs $279.09, lasts 3 hours and 32 minutes and has 0.27 connections. In comparison, the average flight to a popular warm winter destination costs $416.61, lasts 5 hours and has 0.53 connections.
- Among cold destinations, Chicago, Illinois and Columbus, Ohio have the lowest price for a three-star hotel room, $42, which is three times lower than Worcester, Massachusetts, the city with the highest at $126.
- Among warm destinations, Dallas has the lowest price for a three-star hotel room, $49, which is 4.7 times lower than Honolulu, the city with the highest at $230.
- Among cold destinations, New York has the most restaurants (per square root of population), 7.42, which is 7.1 times more than in Bridgeport, Connecticut, the city with the fewest at 1.05.
- Among warm destinations, San Francisco has the most restaurants (per square root of population), 4.91, which is 18.2 times more than in North Port, Florida, the city with the fewest at 0.27.
Hopefully this list will give you some ideas for a winter getaway around the country. Let us know if your own city made the top list, or if you plan to travel during the holidays.
This post may contain referral, affiliate or sponsor links that provide Miles to Memories compensation. Thank you for your support.
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed bu the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.