It's Amazon Prime Day! Check out our curated Prime Day 2018 MASTER THREAD of Deals!
eBay Bucks Devaluation & Misleading Language
Well well well. What can I say about eBay? They certainly aren’t my favorite company in the world. Not only are they known to take eBay Bucks without notice, they have also devalued various aspects of their site over the past few months.
Among the recent changes are:
- No more earning eBay Bucks when purchasing gift cards.
- No more using eBay gift cards to purchase other gift cards.
- No more earning through a portal (most portals) for gift cards or Daily Deals. This includes most of the best deals on the site.
For more info on these changes, see: eBay Gift Card Policy Primer: An Easy Guide to eBay’s New Rules
More Changes Coming
Now, they have gone and done it again. eBay sent out an email to members today announcing their most recent devaluation. You wouldn’t know it is a devaluation though considering the email has the subject “Announcing a better, more flexible eBay Bucks.”
Here are the announced changes:
- Base earnings are changing from 2% to 1%, now with more ways than ever to earn eBay Bucks.
- From car parts to copiers & you can now earn rewards for shopping in the Parts & Accessories and Business & Industrial* categories.
- Earn Bucks when you sell. We’ll be adding occasional promotions so you can also get rewarded when your items sell on eBay.**
- No more $5 minimum earn restrictions for redeeming—now you’ll receive your rewards, no matter the amount.
So let’s break this down. The first one is the big bad news of the day. Earnings have been dropped from 2% to 1%. Halved if you will. That certainly is neither better nor more flexible.
Moving on to item two they have added the “Parts & Accessories” and “Business & Industrial” categories to eBay Bucks. I suppose that is good for a few, but I have never purchased from these categories so this is not positive for me nor the vast majority of customers I would assume.
Ah number three looks potentially good. You can now earn eBay Bucks when selling! Yay! Oh wait. What is that ** after the statement Let’s look at the fine print.
**There is no base earn on selling. Bucks members will receive occasional bonus offers (promotions) for selling.
No base earning on selling? So occasionally you will target certain sellers with an offer to earn eBay Bucks. You mean like this one? NOT A CHANGE and misleading.
Finally they have eliminated the $5 minimum for cashing in your eBay Bucks. Good I suppose but not a huge deal and certainly not enough to call these changes “Better”.
I am not angry at eBay for making these changes since they are both expected given recent trends and within their rights. With that said, it does make me angry when companies heavily devalue and then insult your intelligence by saying it is an enhancement. Furthermore their announcement about sellers earning eBay Bucks is both misleading and a lie considering those promotions have existed previously.
What are your thoughts?
This post may contain referral, affiliate or sponsor links that provide Miles to Memories compensation. Thank you for your support.