Join over 6,000 people who are subscribed to receive a once daily email with all of our posts. Never miss out! Click here to subscribe.
Learn how to maximize your points & miles! Join Our Facebook Group!
Marriott Rewards SPG Points Transfer & Elite Status
The Marriott and Starwood merger becomes official today and it appears the company has made official their plans for how they plan to handle the two major loyalty programs in the short term. Specifically, we now know how points transfers and loyalty status will work between Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest.
You can link your Marriott/Ritz Carlton Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest accounts at http://members.marriott.com/.
After linking your accounts, points can be transferred between the programs at a 1:3 ratio. That is 1 Starpoint = 3 Marriott Rewards points. An overall fair valuation I think.
Linking accounts will also provide reciprocal elite status. Elite status will be provided as follows:
- SPG Platinum = Marriott Platinum
- SPG Gold = Marriott Gold
- SPG Preferred Plus (Amex CC status) = Marriott Silver
- SPG Preferred = Marriott Basic
While there is a lot to analyze here and I did not get this information ahead of time like some other bloggers, here are my initial thoughts:
- SPG Gold can be had with an Amex Platinum. That gets you Marriott Gold which gives free breakfast at a lot of properties. It is a nice upgrade in status and a good match in that direction.
- Marriott Platinum = Starwood Platinum which is quite lucrative as well. Holders of the Ritz Carlton card can spend $75,000 now to receive that status although points earned on spending aren’t worth much.
- Starpoints can be transferred over to Marriott for Flight & Hotel packages. These packages can be used to help towards the Southwest Companion Pass.
For now I think we can be happy that the points transfers are at a somewhat fair value and that elite statuses have been matched between programs. What do you think about this news? Has Marriott been fair with their initial integration? What do you think we will see as these programs move towards integration in 2018?
This post may contain referral, affiliate or sponsor links that provide Miles to Memories compensation. Thank you for your support.