New American Express Hilton Ascend Card Rumors
There have been rumors swirling for a couple of weeks (or a year) about a new Hilton card being released by American Express. This would make sense with Amex getting total control of the Hilton portfolio starting January 1, 2018. The original rumors were that American Express would be releasing an ultra premium card with a large annual fee and Hilton Diamond status. This does not seem to be the case according to TravelinPoints.
Rumored Details of the Offer
TravelinPoints’ post offers the following details on the card:
- Available January 1, 2018
- Earning structure is the same as the Surpass card
- 12x Hitlon Hotels
- 6x Grocery, US Gas, US Restaurants
- 3x Everywhere else
- Comes with Hilton Gold Status, Diamond after 40k in spend.
- No foreign exchange fees
- Free weekend night after spending $15,000 within a calendar year
- Priority Pass with 10 free visits
- $95 annual fee
We are not sure how accurate these details are since a screenshot etc. is not provided in the post.
Other Evidence That The Card is Real
DoctorofCredit offers a few more tidbits that make the Hilton Ascend card feel like more than a rumor.
- American Express filed a trademark for ‘Ascend’ on July 18th, 2017 (serial number: 87532331)
- One of DoC’s Amex sources said they could not comment on it and to “take that how you will”.
- One of the DoC readers said that an Amex chat rep said the card is not available yet when he inquired about it.
Introducing a new co-branded Hilton card would make a lot of sense for American Express to coincide with them taking over the entire Hilton portfolio. This would replace the two cards being discontinued by Citibank and could help recoup some of the revenue Hilton would be losing because of it. It would also be cement the announcement of the exclusive partnership.
I believe a new card will be released by American Express and Hilton, it makes too much sense not to. But, if the terms being reported by TravelinPoints are true the Ascend card does not make a ton of sense to me. It sounds too similar to the Surpass card. It would have the same earning structure and comes with the same status. While I think the $20 increase in annual is worth it for the free night perk, no foreign transaction fees, and 10 priority pass entries. I don’t know why anyone would get the Surpass version vs the Ascend card. It seems like the Ascend will simply cannibalize Surpass members. The reported terms do seem like a mix between the Reserve and Surpass card. I think a Hilton Diamond card would make more sense.
We will see soon enough if the terms are correct or if the Ascend card is real. It would be nice to be able to get a new Hilton sign up bonus if it is true!
What do you think about American Express introducing a new card? Does it make sense? Are you planning on signing up if it is released?