Join over 5,000 people who are subscribed to receive a once daily email with all of our posts. Never miss out! Click here to subscribe.
Want more info? Come join our Travel Hacking & Reselling Facebook communities to get the answers!
Chase Sapphire Reserve Bonus Dropping
The Chase Sapphire Reserve was the miles & points story of 2016. Not only did Chase bring a truly world class premium credit card to market, they launched it with an amazing bonus. All good things must come to an end though. According to Frequent Miler, the online bonus on this card will drop from 100,000 points down to 50,000 points on January 12. (Apply by January 11.)
One good bit of information did come with the announcement of the change in bonus. The bonus will remain 100,000 points if you apply in-branch at least through March 12. Additionally while many blogs are saying March 12 is the last day to apply in-branch for 100,000 points, I have seen some indication that the bonus may remain higher in-branch even longer. I have reached out to a Chase rep, but have yet to hear back. I’m sure we will know more as March 12 approaches.
Who Should Apply & When
In my opinion the bonus on this card along with its benefits are absolutely worth applying for. As I have covered before, both my wife and I opened Sapphire Reserve accounts and while we most likely will close one, we plan to keep the other long term. If you don’t have the card, here are some things to consider about where and when to apply.
Don’t apply if:
- You are not comfortable paying a $450 annual fee up front.
- You don’t pay off your balances in full each month.
- You don’t travel often enough to use the annual travel credit and/or the card’s other benefits.
- You have opened up a ton of new cards lately and are not pre-approved since based on data points you most likely will be denied.
Apply online by January 11 if:
- You are under 5/24 and want/need this card now.
- You don’t have a Chase branch nearby.
- You don’t have the time and/or patience to go into a branch to apply.
Apply in-branch by March 11 (or later if we find that date has been extended) if:
- You don’t want the card now.
- You are over 5/24 and want to see if you are pre-approved for the Sapphire Reserve. (Being pre-approved can help you avoid 5/24.)
- You are over 5/24 now but will be under 5/24 by March.
If you do decide to apply online, please consider supporting the site. What is your game plan?
This post may contain referral, affiliate or sponsor links that provide Miles to Memories compensation. Thank you for your support.