Disclosure: Miles to Memories has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Miles to Memories and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Links in this post may provide us with a commission.
The Wins & Losses for 2018 – Midway Point Edition
At the end of 2017 I did a Top 5 Biggest Wins and Biggest Losses list. I thought I would do a list of both so far for 2018 since, unless my math skills failed me, we are at the midway point. I am sure you are aware of this already but the bad has a commanding lead so far in 2018.
2018 has been a little skimpy in the good news department. Let me know if I missed anything in the comments section and I will add it in.
Let’s start with the negative stuff. This is just a list of losses/negative changes worth mentioning so far this year. It is not in order or anything. I will trim it to a top 5 list at the end of the year.
- Gamestop gift cards cycling ends
- MPX 5X earning with American Express Platinum ends (a good double dip)
- Gift Card Mart stops earning 5X for the Chase Ink Products (it was one of the few left)
- Earning 3X at PayPal Digital Gifts with AT&T Citi card ends
- Amazon and JetBlue end their 3X portal partnership
- Amazon stopped selling their gift cards online making it harder to get bonus points for purchases (although one way is still left)
- SPG card changes announced making the card worthless for everyday spend
- Marriott travel packages neutered
- Best Buy gift card cycling ends
- The Plastic Merchant went belly up
- Citi AT&T Access More card no longer earns 3X on Plastiq mortgage/rent payments.
That is a pretty substantial list and we still have half the year left. I am sure I missed some things so let me know what should be added below. The Plastic Merchant is probably in the number one slot right now, costing people thousands of dollars.
The wins list is much shorter and not quite as meaty either. There have not been many cheers so far in 2018.
- American Express introduced the Aspire card, which is the most valuable card on the market in terms of perks.
- Movie plans break out in a big way. Moviepass gets the most headlines but Sinemia and even AMC have very worthwhile programs. Although Moviepass may end up in the losses before the end of the year.
- Chase offered the CFU with 3X earning for a brief moment. That may be the best deal of the last few years if you could get in on it.
- Ink Unlimited was introduced…and the Ink Cash survived the release.
- New World of Hyatt card is introduced. It is the best hotel card on the market now with the upcoming SPG changes.
- Amex Offers has seemed to come back in a pretty big way this year. The 10% off Staples and Lowe’s are at the top of the list though.
A couple of decent wins, although the largest one, CFU 3X, wasn’t available to most. Let me know what I missed in the comments section. The Iberia deal will most likely be added once everything starts paying out.
2018 looks a whole lot like 2017 so far. Although nothing will hurt me as much as 5X on PPDG ending for Ink products. RIP eBay!
What has been your biggest win and biggest loss so far this year?
Miles to Memories has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Miles to Memories and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.